Monday, February 6, 2012

February 6, 2012 --Vinca major


I was carrying garden debris--mostly dried ornamental grasses--to the burn pile this afternoon, when (on my third trip past it), I spotted this Vinca major (large periwinkle) blooming. So I picked it for my windowsill arrangement. I own a bluish vase that I really wanted to drop the periwinkle into, but I couldn't find it. Must be with the brown shoes I can't find. I was still bemoaning my misfortune (embarrassingly inconsequential), when I spotted this little pot on my vase shelf. Into it I dropped a really small vase that would hold the periwinkle stems in water, then I covered the top with a clump of green moss that, believe it or not, was sitting in my utility room sink. I had discovered it in a bowl under some bags of seeds I'd collected and saved it because, although dry, it was still a pretty emerald green. Have no idea what project I'd collected it for orginally. Anyway, I re-wet it and now it looks as fresh as it was when first picked. Through the moss I poked the periwinkle stems until they reached the vase of water below. So: now I'm glad I couldn't find my bluish vase.

1 comment:

  1. I always forget about the 'putting a vase inside a vase' idea. Thats what I like about your blog so much...Daily reminders...and of course the beautiful pictures. Many Thanks.

    ReplyDelete