Sunday, February 12, 2012

February 12, 2012 -- frozen daffodils


The daffodils on the left, I picked yesterday, when the weather was cold, but not freezing at Flower Camp. The daffodils on the right I picked this morning in Ashland, after a hard frost, when their stems were as hard as sticks. Outdoors, they'll thaw and raise their heads again. Inside, I'm not sure what they'll do. I should have waited until they thawed to pick them, but I was curious.

Below is my absolute favorite description of daffodils hit by cold. It's from Tinkers by Paul Harding.

"A late-spring storm capped the last daffodils and the first tulips with dollops of snow, which melted when the sun came back out. The snow seemed to have a bracing effect on the flowers; their roots drank the cold melt; their stalks straightened from the chilly drink; their petals, supple and hale, were spared the brittle coating of a trur freeze. The afernoon became warm, and with the warmth the first bees appeared, and each little bee settled in a yellow cup and took suck like a newborn."

No comments:

Post a Comment